An internship at Desert X is an excellent first step if you are a college student or recent graduate interested in learning more about how museums work, are considering pursuing academic credit for an undergraduate or graduate-level program, those who would like to pursue a career at the museum.
Job Title: Curatorial Intern
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Part-time intership, paid $16/hr
Start Date: February 1, 2024
Desert X is seeking a self-motivated and passionate art history or arts administration graduate student or upper level undergraduate to assist the curatorial team with the planning of Desert X 2025. This is a unique opportunity for someone with a specific interest in contemporary art and curatorial practices to gain hands-on experience in the planning and execution of an international art biennial.
The intern will assist with daily activities related to the planning of Desert X 2025 including:
- Conduct research on contemporary artists and relevant themes.
- Conduct research on potential sites and collaborate with the production team to secure new sites for use in 2025.
- Assist in the documentation and organization of artworks, artists’ profiles, and exhibition materials.
- Contribute to the planning and coordination of artists’ site visits.
- Assist in the scheduling of meetings with artists, galleries, and other stakeholders.
- Assist in coordinating production schedules, budgets, logistics, permits, and artist agreements for the successful execution of projects.
- Provide support during the installation and deinstallation of artworks.
- Assist in coordinating and editing text and media for printed matter.
- Provide support to the curatorial team and artists throughout the opening week/end.
- Participate in the planning and execution of parallel and educational programs.
- Assist in coordinating curators’ & artists’ travel and accommodation in the Coachella Valley.
The intern may also assist in other projects as discussed and assigned.
- Exceptional research and writing skills.
- Strong digital organizational abilities.
- Capacity to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Commitment to a minimum of 10 hours per week for the duration of the internship.
- Must be based in the Coachella Valley or Los Angeles and surrounding areas and must have a car and the flexibility to travel to Palm Springs as needed.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume (one reference is optional), and a writing sample (500 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Curatorial Intern Application - [Your Name]” in the subject line.
Our internship program is open to talented students of all backgrounds. We value diversity in culture, race and ethnicity, and gender expression. Students from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in the arts and Coachella Valley students are encouraged to apply. Internship applicants must be lawfully eligible or authorized to work in the U.S. without the need for employer-based sponsorship.